Friday, June 10, 2005

I am supervising an exam. I've been doing this for three weeks now, and I have one more to go. Today it's in Psychology: Compare and contrast two models of word recognition. Sometimes it's a full of 65 students, but this time I'm in the computer room, and only 3 students are here. They will finish in ten minutes.

Earlier this week I had a dream I was taking an exam. The questions were in statistics, but they referred in a strange way to English 17th century history, a subject I know very little about. My Statistics are also quite rusty. None the less, I had a look at the paper and figured I can manage it. I thought I could find at least two questions I can handle. But as time went by, I realized I can't answer any of the questions. I was going through my papers frantically, trying to find the form, and my draft answer, when the time was up. I knew I failed.

Immediately afterwards I had a meeting with my supervisor, who strangely resembled my MA tutor. He didn't understand why I insisted on taking the exam. "PhD students rarely take seminars like this". I then realized it was my stuborn stupidity that made me do it. Next thing I was cycling up the hill with a trailer full of vegetables; it was hard going. I woke up; the time was half past eight. I had a morning exam to supervise in one hour.

No comments: