Tuesday, June 22, 2010

LSE normal

I arranged to meet with a friend to hear a lecture in the LSE titled "Beirut Normal" by architect and scholar Hashim Sarkis. Approaching the LSE I was surprised by the large number of well-dressed people in front of the doors, chattering happily in Arabic. Are they all Arab architects and town planners, the Zaha Hadid aspirationals?

As I was locking my bike, to my surprise I saw the well-dressed men starting to hit each other, as the doors of the building shut closed with huge metal barriers, as if out of the sesame cave. The skirmish appeared to be between people with placards and people with no placards. Then I realised that the no-placard-camp were chasing after the placard camp, kicking them and shouting "Traitors!". I noticed that I've never seen people with such expensive suits beating up each other. As one guy was running after a photographer and threatening to break his camera, I could even smell the eau-de-cologne.

What's happening? I asked a non-suit person that was watching the scene. "Kaddafi's son is speaking here today". That made more sense. So we were among a crowd of lackeys defending the great Arab revolution in Armani. I realized that in that case we should be grateful they didn't start shooting at the protestors.

As I circled the building I found that although had shut all the gates, the Student Union shop remained opened. As I guessed, the shop had a passage to the building. I went in, and noticed a little army of security people facing the main doors, with their backs to me, and they didn't notice me at all as I jumped the barriers. Now, inside the building, I thought I just have to locate myself strategically on the cafe balcony and prepare to throw my detonating device.... Alas assassinations are not my expertise.

The Sarkis talk ended up being very smooth, but quite disconcerting; "money is not a problem in Beirut", and courtesy references to social exclusion through a picture of a cleaner in a hotel. My sense was that he probably plans buildings the same men in Armani suits that were beating the demonstrators outside.

24 comments:

洪筱婷 said...

感謝您寫下您的生活,也是把珍寶來和諸君分享的心意。.................................................................

宛君宛君 said...

在莫非定律中有項笨蛋定律:「一個組織中的笨蛋,恆大於等於三分之二。」......................................................................

貞合 said...

在莫非定律中有項笨蛋定律:「一個組織中的笨蛋,恆大於等於三分之二。」......................................................................

貴寶 said...

人生是故事的創造與遺忘。............................................................

吳婷婷 said...

人有兩眼一舌,是為了觀察倍於說話的緣故。............................................................

蕙春蕙春 said...

好棒的地方 我一定要常來~~~^^~..................................................................

JasonBirk佳琪 said...

在你一無所有的時候 是誰在陪伴你 他便是你最重要的人............................................................

懿綺懿綺 said...

Birth is much but breeding is more. 加油!..................................................................

萬宇萬宇 said...

很喜歡看看別人的生活故事,謝謝您的分享哦~~............................................................

錢靜怡錢靜怡錢靜怡 said...

Many a little makes a mickle.............................................................

ToniMaid李 said...

很耐斯的部落格,留言支持你繼續加油..................................................................

俊成俊成 said...

加油!期待更新哦!.................................................................

恩李如恩李如 said...

One swallow does not make a summer...................................................

翔馨陳陳翔馨陳陳 said...

All roads lead to Rome. 堅持自己所選!............................................................

玄王季玄王季玄王季 said...

沈舟側畔千帆過,病樹前頭萬木春............................................................

偉曹琬 said...

每次心情跌到谷底,就對自己說:休息一下再重新開始吧............................................................

v惠王王王娟 said...

愛,拆開來是心和受兩個字。用心去接受對方的一切,用心去愛對方的所有。......................................................................

冠霖林冠霖林冠霖林 said...

心平氣和~祝你也快樂~~............................................................

廷家祥家祥雯 said...

幸福不是一切,人還有責任。............................................................

文岳仲君 said...

從人生中拿走友誼,猶如從生活中移走陽光......................................................................

孫邦柔 said...

卡爾.桑得柏:「除非先有夢,否則一切皆不成。」共勉!.................................................................

Soraya said...

yair, i lost your emailadress,
writte me ant tell me about your life
kisss

Timmy said...

Wonderful post, I learned a lot from it, thank you for sharing it.

moving company

Victor said...

I when through some of your blog posts and in my opinion you have a flair to write. Keep it up, hope more will come !

office removals