Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Two days ago I saw a couple shoplifting. I used to have this somewhat-glorified image of the professional shoplifter as cool and nonchalant, like magicians, with a sleight of hand, expensive merchandise ending up in their bags. Poof! Now you see it, now you don't. But whenever I saw shoplifters in shops they didn't look anything like that. They were nervous and hysterical, their movements obvious and hasty.

First I saw this guy, looking almost elegant with his faded jacket, walking around in circles in front of the shop. His eyes were full of fear and agitation. Then I noticed the woman who was going in and out of the shop, bringing goodies in her coat. He was on the verge of losing it, but she kept going inside, bringing more and more. I think it was expensive perfume they were after. No sleight of hand involved, just take and take, grab and grab , before it's too late. They were just taking advantage of the toilet break of the security guard who I believe could not care less.

No comments: